December 29, 2009

personal Interview in IIM's(must read)




Following is the personal interview experience of Suhas Anand who got calls from all 6 IIM's and converted 5 of them.
IIM Indore



PI !!!

....3 panelists..J1, J2,J3.....

J1 :- Sit DOwn
Me sits down
J1 :- wht is Jaeescooo ?
Me :- ...which language ??
J1 : -its mechanical engg based !!
Me :- ...hunh ?? did u mean gyroscope by any cahnce ???..
J1 :- asks me to write it...i spell it out and he says ..Yea yea !!!
(now normally im able to iunderstand english with any friggin accent..but this was beyond any possible comprehension without lot of permutation & combinations!! )
J1:- function of Jaeescoooo ..
Me: -I DONT KNOW
J1 :- principle behind boomerang
Me :- I DONT KNOW
J1 :- Does Jaescooo make rotational motion translational or somethingelse:-
me :- I already told u i dont know remember anything about Gyroscope which i studied eons back !!
J1 :- Some Q on some type of motion i hadnt ever heard
me: -I DONT KNOW
J1: - Decided its better not to waste further time ont these lines...

Turns over to J2 :-

J2 :- Wht is SARS
Me:-told
J1:-wht is bird flu
me:-told
Affected countries..
Me: -told in both cases
J2: -Asian tiger/currency crisis/98 crisis/speculation
me:-told in details...IMF/SAPs/negatives/floated rate mechanisms/fixed rate/affects of currency specs/downfall of 98
J2:- currencies of the asian tigers...
Me:- told...
J2 now is a bit suprised...mebbe he thought he cud stress me out by asking non engineerin subjects !!HAHAHAHA
J2:- wht is a human is infected with SARS
me:-told
Wht if a human infected with SARS get bird flu ?
Me...here's a youngish kid trying to stress me out !!
I DONT KNOW
j2:- wht is bullock cart power ?
Me:- dont know
J2:- wht is horse power ?
me:-told
J2:- convert it to joules
Me:- i dont remember
J2:- why horsepower famous and not bullock cart power ?
Me:- Soem idiosyncracies of ancient folks who liked horses more thn bullocks !!
J2:- wht is rachet mechanis ?
Me:- I dotn know
J2:- wht is governor ?
Me:- i dont know
Now j1 coems in and says :- J1:- u dont know Bimal jalan ???
Jeeesus...on a wunderful saturday evening a buncha miserable folks are sitting and cracking Pjs in the name of interviews !!!
Me:- i know bimal jalan..but for ur kind information hes aleadyr eplaced by Reddy as the Governor
j1:- functions of governor
me;- i dont know
J2:- whts is "some other nutty mechanism the name of which i havent heard EVER"
me:- i dont know
J2:- a barrage of mechanical engg. Qs from automobile field..
Me:- answered i dont knows around 8 times...the last time even before he asked the question !!
J2: - draw cam mechanism and explain
Me:- drew some thing and spoke a sec about contact leadign to motion etc..
J2:- a bit suprised tht i could answer a QUESTION !!

Finally J3 decides to step in

J3: -OK..ill ask u simple things...only from ur 12th std physics
Me: -thnak you SAAAAAAAAAAAARRR

J3: -wht is weins law ??
I dont know
J3 :- wht is emissive pwoer variation
I dont know
Wht is luminous intensity ?
TOld
Measures of the same
I donjt know
Whts is "some other stopid law"
i dont know
wht is Sensa ?
Me:- bombay stock exchange..short form of sensitive index..
J3: - not tht Sensa the other Sensa whn people come to ur home and take facts..
Me: - u mean Census ..now do you ??
J3: -Yea yea
Me:- told wht is census
J4:- indian literacy accoding to first census
Me:- i dont know
Acording to last ?
I dont know
Whn was first census taken
I dont know
Whn was last census taken
I dont know
Which state has highest litrecy ?
Kerala
Secodn highest
West Bengal
J3 :- r u sure ?
Me:- ofcourse not..i was jus guessing...

U may go now

J2 :- how many calls ?
me: -all six
J1/J2/J3 Smile !!
J2 :- OOh gud luck to you ...(oooh ?? )

Me: -thanks gawd.....pretty pissed off tht i am already late for a horde of mroe interesting things to do on a saturday evening !!!

Conclusion :- i wudnt entirely say the panelists were SAD...mebbe it was supposed to be stress interview !!......thts the only thing i can find in favour of whtever i had to undergo in the name of interview !!



---------------------------------------------
IIM Kozhikode

Was planning to think and make a detailed chronology of K’s GD PI>>simply cuz this was one of those PIs in which panel agreed to “Interview” me !!a..(had it waaaay back on 10th in aamchi mumbai!!)

GD:- A tortuous passage strewn around with obtuse GRE terms out of Barrons !! Hehe…
Nywasy the gist was summin like shud artists have self censorship…shud republic/democracy be fettered by the whims & fancies of select group…etc etc…

Very peaceful..only 6 of us…20 minutes…..i came up with MF Hussais painting Saraswati in nude..how it affects religious sentiments….presence of a neutral entity like censor board to look into propriety of creations….how semi nude females dancing rather lasciviously on music videos is neither great artistic creation nor does it help children and others….i jus had a feeling tht I took more air time thn I normally take..but I cudnt avoid it since we were only 6 of us and we finding it tuff to fill the 20 minutes…. …. not the best of my best GDs but def. better thn L!!: )..The group again was a lovely group..thnk god tht in almost all the GDs I have had the company of some great individuals for GD …
PI :- Was last….was feeling sleepy after a “gud Friday” bash !!! :-p….since it was in catering college in dadar, got some nice coffee to keep me awake !!

I enter..asked to sit down…..2 junta..youngish …P1 & P2…

P1 :- So..after spending time in corporate and rising up rather well..why an MBA ??
Me :- mouths all tht preplanned inanities which I so abhor!!! But alas where is the choice…
Hearing bout my plans for PhD
P1: - Which field do u look for for higher studies ??
P2 : -cutting in …Gimme ur file…
Me to P1 after giving the file to P2 :- I’ll be looking at how policy decisions can affect everyday life of common people….application level of eco for dev. Policies

P1 : -pardon..did not hear you ?
Me: - Eco..economics..
P1 : - Have u studied economics before ?
Me: -No..i have worked in world bank project..so knows how developmental policies affect poverty..( wanted to say I’ve seen how world bank and IMF fucks around with the life of ordinary people in third world..but thought if the dude is not anti IMF like me, I’d have a tuff time..so did not explain!!)

P1 :- What do you think bout final quarter results of IT Companies ??!
Me : -was a bit taken aback..Seriously did not expect this one!!!.. (but was pleasantly surprised!!!)
Mouthed about how Mphasis has taken a cut in bottom line and how thy have said it’s mainly cuz of exchange rate infused losses…
P1 :- Ahaaa..(I was like..puhleeez ask me bout rupee appreciation!!)
P1: - So what do you think about rupee appreciation and wht do u think are the reason !!
Me :- ……3-4 minutes covering all aspects of appreciation/reasons/why RBI did not intervene as much/why they wud not nevertheless allow free float etc etc..
I should have stopped there…but the devil in me made me to say “ Moreover since most of the asian central banks have amassed huge reserves and US fiscal deficit is looking dicey ……i expect dollar to depreciate further….aaaarghhh!!!
P2 comes into piucture…face expression a mix of pity/hatred/shock/mock….
“You did not say US fiscal deficit ..now did you ??”
Me :- yes !! (
P2 :- ok…conceptually explain how US fiscal deficit may or may not affect currency rates….
Me :- ….though I should start with increased govt. borrowings et al..but felt wudnt Llead me nywhr…thought for a change tht ill take a beating!! 
P1 : -But u did say something about Fiscal deficit didn’t u..go ahead MEBBE your are right !!!(right my foot !!!)
Luckily I did not reply to tht & remembered the gud ol saying…”Once ur In a pile of horse s*** stop turning around…Phew….
P1: - What was the reason for Heath Streak to resign ??
Me :- Financial issue and composition of team….racist undertones..
P1: -Shaking his head..”composition of team ??” R u sure
Me :- No sir…
P1 : -You are wrong…(boy ..thnx for letting me know dude!!! without knowing tht titbit I wudnt have got salvation!!)
P1 :-U’ve studied in REC.kozhikode..now do u prefer to come to IIM Kozhikode ??
Me :- Ofcourse…u’ve a lovely campus..
P1 :- Have u seen it ?
Me :- Yessir..last yr whn I was holidaying in Kerala I had come down to meet my friends..
P1 : - tell me about business culture in Africa…(answered ok)
P2 :- can u trust ur associates ? (some globe again)
P1 :- latest initiatives in ur company
Me : Gave a nice answer…used “comparative advantage”cuz of globalization..(at this P2 had tht “mouthing-inanities-with-superficial-knowledge” look about him…)..
P2 :- but u have nuff projects in India..we’re growing at 10%...u can build more bridges/dams/ what nots!!
Me :- but we’ve surplus in certain market segments and saturation in some of thm..like refineries..moreover powere sector have been in doldrums for long..only now it’s looking a bit up…cement again is in surplus…oil & gas has new investments now & thn..but still global markets are whr the future is for the company,…
P2 :- with a disgusted look “ I don’t think tht alone is the case”
Me :- ….u might not think SIR, but thts the truth..!!!
P1 :- I don’t think I have anything more to ask (thank god!!)
Now the telephone starts ringin in the room and P2 hands over my file and walking over to the telephone quips sarcastically “ You’r VERY unorganized…u’r certificates are all over the place”
Me :- thy are my marklists and not certificates..all the certificates are within the flaps !!!
P2 did give me a disgruntled look but thn started speaking on the phone..
I walked out after smiling and saying thanks to P1…(…..

The panel was Ok….. ……I would give them 8/10!!




---------------------------------------------
Monday, April 12, 2004
IIM Calcutta

I was wundering whether to post gd pi ex. of mine here..since it was a very unique thing tht happened..and dunno if there is some useful take homes for nyone who reads this...
jus thought ill do it..if nothing else mebbe 2 years down the line whn i login to PG i can re read and smile !!
So here goesss...


GD Topic :- Black is beautiful !! ......

Peaceful GD...everyone came up with rather interesting points and multiple perspectives on how black could well be beautiful !! ...I came up with the Indian psyche which treats fair skin as the be all and end all of beauty..also how ads like tht of Fair and Lovely corrupts or is anti thetical to the idea of black is beautiful.....
After the GD the panelists told tht we were supposed to discuss more on Fair & Lovely ad and other connected aspects like empowerment of women etc...welll how were we supposed to know !! (I jus thanked my luck tht I atleast came up once with the F&L thingie.....but sad tht I cudnt force the issue further....)

PI :- Well I did n’t inhave any interview as such !!!!! ....we had nice discussions......

3 of thm P1, P2 and P3 ( an alum of IIM C with HPCL)...

P1 & P2 did most of the "questioning"!!!

P1 :- how wud u rank urself in the group of 9 in the GD ??
Me:- politely..6-7....
A shocked P2 :- u do like being modest....i appreciate tht ......but I DON'T LIKE PEOPLE WHO ARE OVERLY MODEST !!!!!! ....)
Me: - Sir.....errrr....
P1 :- I thought u were the only one who raised the issue of cosmetic industry churning out stereotypes. But even u did not take the lead to empowerment of women....

(I must add..to be fair to other members of the GD..i'm sure thy too thought bout the same..but since I had already broached the subject it's only normal on their parts not to belabour on the ssame issue further on ......but if the panel was looking fwd to only tht aspect wht can someone do..after all u can't rigidly structure an abstract topic in such restricted lines...)

P2 :- So u've proved tht u'r a bad leader (with a smile though)....u can't guide ur team members !!!
Me :- Sir..it being an abstract topic it's only rite tht folks shud come up with creative analogy...I did not see anything wrong in it....
P1: -U did not mebbe...but I was going to stop the GD
P2:- But xyz, can we do tht..i mean is it allowed ???...
P1 & P2 discuss bout how a GD was stopped last year whn P1 and some-arbit-professor who-goes-by-the-name-lmnop thought it prudent to do so .......i cud well understand the surprise and shock of the group if tht were true....

P1 :- So u been working in africa....are u vegetarian ??
Me: -I was till I joined the engg college....geeee.....
P2 :- hahaha...mess in the hostel hunh ??

P1 & P2 discuss bout the mess and food in general...vegetarianism etc...
Soon their discussion veers into the colonialism and Africa...in btwn I too chip in with tit bits like how samoa and Angola still speak French and how some folks speak Spanish as fluently as anybody...I also say I have a working knowledge of Swahili...

P1 & me thn discuss on how information is widely available these days and hence how the work of an academic is shifting from information provider to knowledge channeliser...in btwn I say he shud also read the pulse of the students during a case study...P2 asks me wht exactly do I mean whn I say tht...we discuss a bit on case study pedagogy..

P2: - So if u get A/B/C which are you going to choose ??
Me: -Tried giving some globe.. i-wanna-ask-my seniors-which-has-better-loos fundae....stoppped in btwn and asked to speak truthfully and not diplomatically..
P1: -answer is no way going to affect our decision vis a vis takin u to IIM C or not ..
Me: -if I get A I guess I wont look elsewhere !! (....
P1 & P2 :- stern nods ....and a knowing hmmmm..and smile !!
Me: -btwn C & B I haven't decided....B has CSP group (corporate strat and policy)..and since I will be going for consults hopefully, tht is one plus I see in B....

P2 :- But C has better consults placement historically thn even A and ofcourse B!...
P1: -this year I heard we have better overall thn B..
Me: -yea..i read it..u have had fabulos placement..
P2 & P1 discuss a couple of minutes on placements in A/B/C...
P1 : -u shall have mentors in C who shall guide u properly whichever stream u choose...
Me : - yes sir..me got a lot of friends in C....so I do get the inside info (

Then somehow discussion veers over to cricket....i say in btwn tht I was an opening bat and part time leg spinner....thy thn discuss bout Chandu Borde etc etc..P3 also gleefully joins the cricketic talk....

Further we discussed on how business establishments in mainland east Africa is mostly under gujarati population and hence how fud is not as much an issue vis a vis the hinterlands of African continent.....

Witht tht the session comes to a close.....
The only question I was asked in btwn is "which was your branch in engineering ??"

While I was picking up my files P2 says , " Suhas, u might as well brush up your basic maths in case u come down !!! " since we have some subjects which are rather heavy on quants..(yes he used the slang quant!!!)................

P1: - How gud r u in basic maths..
Me: - I WAS pretty gud sir !!
P!, P2 & P3 smiles at this rather I'm-good-dude-but-wont-let-u-quiz-me-on-maths answer !!)
P2:- Gud luck (for other interviews ???!!! )

After what was prolly my longest "interview??!" session yet, I was allowed to go off ……..Yea btb, they also told me tht results will be out my May 10th............

Someone called me overly modest..for the first time in my life..cheers to that !!!




IIM Lucknow
Phew..thro with L..the only difficult aspect was getting to vashi from borivali......western to central to harbour..the crisscrossing thro the maze of locals was worht it though at the end of the day !! :)

GD :- my worst !!...topic was stooopid...the same ol hackneyed business success and ethics thingie.......made coupla points and sat back and enjoyed the fight !..was as fishy as the western coasts of kerala !! :mg: .....i almost winked at the panelists ...thy smiled back !!! :lol: :lol:.....ofcourse we did not conclude, nor did we make much sense most of the time...belaboured examples from all walks of life...hehehe...i njoyed though..all in all an avoidable one !!!

PI :-

2 guys, P1 and P2 (the one whom i smiled at during the chaotic GD with a "i told u so look"!!! :mg: :mg:

P2 :- GIve me ur certis...went thro the same along with cat hall ticket..
P1 & P2 :- ..so how was your GD ???!!!
Me:- I too laughed....told some of the junta were a bit eager...but all in all all of us made good "valuable" points and we almost were convergent !!! :mg: :mg:
P!:- Do u think ambanis has defined success bereft of ethics ? ( i had told tht though u may criticie relliance fr not being entirely in the white, thy have created shareholder wealth over the yers tht is unprecedented in the indian secondary markets )

P1 :- Work,company,wht u do currently, hows african markets, people in tanzania, quality, 3rd party inspection,quality vs cost, who decides--client or contractors...I told as long as the client pays for the higher quality standards we shudnt mind...

P1:- Why dya wanna do MBA ?? ....dont u get learning frm ur industry ...
Me:- same ol stuff..put in words like structured education, industry exp. of faculty, novel research.....

P2 :- whts ur present job responsibilities now tht u have shifted to india ?
Me :- contracts amangement and commercial aspects of project..
P1 :- wht is contract ? how do u manage contract ?
Me :- answered without much ado
P2 :- Whts happening lately in ur Co. ?
ME :- global mnc , demerger,strategic initiatives....
P2: -Dya think demerger is gud ?
Me :- i cant make a blanket statement..as for us, around 100 of ou top management plus BCG consults including their head in those times, Ralph heuwing were involved ..guess it shud be a prudent decision..
P1 :- Hmmmm
P1 :- which other calls ?
Me: -all six...
P1 :- since uve already done 4 years of btech from K i guess u wud want to go to IIM K
Me< dude...u got some sense of humour mate :roll: :roll: > ...sir i wud prefer a change !! :wink: ...
P1 :- Well thts about it nah ?? nything more (to P2)
P2 :- nothing frm my side..gues thts about it suhas...

10 minutes....P1 is gud..he knows industry pretty well...musta done some consultin with infra industry....asked bout 3rd party inspection, BVQ/LRIS etc...!! :roll: :roll: ..man these profss are real gods...(almost all the profs ive met!!)..thts one thing im really looking fwd to whichever IIM im gonna join!!

If A was cool & B was ICE, this is wht i wud call SOLLID carbon dioxide !!! :mg: :mg:
:mg: :mg: :mg: ..after all its all in the perception !!!



IIM Bangalore

I'm thro with my IIM B..another day of anti climax..:-p
as cool as it could get..if i thought A was cool this was ICE !!
G D :- POpulation of india is nto a problem but an oppurtunity...geeral farting..all came up with points..gud group...decent GD..though we did not summarise still we were more or less convergent on whts to be done ....
PI :-
Q: -whts india's score ?? sehwag hit 300 yet ???
Q:- did we disturb u from the amtch !!!
A:- guess its worth it
Smiles all around....
from then on discussion veered to consultancy, BCG's implementaiton program in our Co., outsourcing, can McK outsource assignments to india fully ? why or why not ? (Told em if client is Indain firm, no issues)...Some fart on confidentiality in outsourcing..Lehmann Brothers taking back the wipro contract,WTO, Free markets ?? GUd or bad ?
Back to my firm...why demerger ?? why divestent ?? whts ROCE ? is divestment decision purely a function of ROCE ? ...
Why dont u directly take FPM (i had written doctorate as long term goals.)..u have such gud acads..guess u shud directly take FPM>>so can we offer u FPM ???
I was like, dude i want some salary in bank... ...

I too was asked "HOW PENCILS ARE MADE ??!!!! (the only Q i cudnt answer!!) ....jus wundering....ofcourse its not by drilling...must be flakes of wud with an internal grove is kept around the lead followed by gluing them together.....hmmm ..sounds OK to me..did nt want to risk it thn !! :)


IIM Ahmedabad

GD was cool
Case study - HR..

Workmen not working properly in a wagon production firm..punching in and thn loafing bout and coming back to punch out.. a bit of trade unionism thrown in
Decent GD..no fights...no fish !!

PI :- 3 member panel...cool lady..2 guys...

Qs :-
1. is this ur first time in A'bad /
a:- no..was in baroda for 6 months on a hydrocarbon project....went on a tour of gujju land !!

2. so u have been in tanzania..how dya find tht place ?
a :- pretty cool :-p
some aaltoo phaltoo farting...

Guy :- So u are a mechanical engg (i was like "i were one... )..how much of mech engg do u know still ??

A :- smiel..broad and charming.. NOT MUCH SIRRRRR

q :- how does a fan rotate without noise ??
q:- how does doors with springs close without bang ?

TOld asn as dampeners for both..

q:- wht type of dampeners >
Dunno..guess its bal bearing in first case and spring in second...

q :- GUESS ??
a ;- smile..YES !!

2nd guy :- talk but work, technical colloboration, managin nlocal workeers in africa,well head strucutre,jackets/piling..types ..engg consultants ? radiographs of welding (jus farting around....nothing specifically technical..jus if ur using it ? do u know something etc etc ?..managed pretty well

q :-wht other interests ?
a :- stocks..


Q:-rumour during ongc IPO..
a:- warren buffet thingie
q:- holding Co. of bufet ?
a:-berkshire hathway
Q:- or hathway berkshire ??
a:-
Q:-whts FII ? rules regarding FII investment in india
a:- farted bout FIIs inesting directly in MFs and equities and not in infra...also reg. with SEBI..
q:-Chief justice of India
a:- DUNNO
q:-president of tanzania
a:-mkapa
q;-previous prez ?
a;- dunno..but do know tht benjamin nyerere was founding father..
q;-is it benjamin
a:-..im 100% sure sir !! :-p (ofcourse i was wrong..its Julius Nyerere !!!..Man these profs seems to know EVERYTHING under the sun !!!

lady :- thts it suhas...nice meeting u..u can take a toffeee

decent panel...as cool as u cud expect..no stress AT ALLLLLLLLLLLL

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Blogger Templates

0 comments on "personal Interview in IIM's(must read)"

Add your comment. Please don't spam!
Subscribe in a Reader
:)) ;)) ;;) :D ;) :p :(( :) :( :X =(( :-o :-/ :-* :| 8-} :)] ~x( :-t b-( :-L x( =))

Post a Comment